Discuss everything about iMapBuilder and interactive maps in our support forum.
Create an interactive election map
Place a mouseover on WY, KS, CA and TX for more details.
a) Download the software
Download and install iMapBuilder from its official website.
b) Using the Wizard
- Invoke the Wizard by selecting Show Wizard from
the File menu.
Note: The Wizard automatically opens each time you open the iMapBuilder - Interactive Flash Map Software. Using the Wizard you can also open projects saved and created earlier.
- Click Create in the Create New Map Project panel.
- Select your map on the left under Available Maps
and a preview can be seen in the Preview window
on the left. You can also filter the map by category, select the
"United States " category on the right
so that the layout of United States maps will be
displayed. In the Preview window click any of the Layout
to align the map. You can also browse through the list of maps using
the Next and Previous buttons .
Note: you can also align the in the Preview Panel of the main window using similar Layout buttons.
- Click OK and the map is opened. Click
to enable grouped highlight area feature.
- Set a group ID for each region. For example, number '1' indicates
blue state which tends to vote for the Democratic Party while '2'
for a red state representing the majority of voters vote for Republican
Party in the United States starting from the 2000 presidential election..
icon to apply the same set of colors for each grouped area.
- You can also click
to fill in the ID in numerical value, or import your data from an
excel unicode text file (.txt) by pressing [Import from Excel] or
click [Paste all from clipboard] button to paste the data from clipboard.
Export the data to Excel by pressing [Export to Excel] for calculations
in Excel Spreadsheet if necessary.
Click [Verify Data] to verify if the numbers are valid integer values.Click to save the settings.
- A legend is needed to list the color used on the map and help
users to understand the meaning of what each color represents. To
add legend, you can click on the
icon at the top.
- Points & Lines pop up window is displayed. Click
to add legend items.
- Check Import Country/State/Region Color List. Click .
- Edit the description field. Type Republican Party for red state
and Democratic Party for blue state. Click
e) Add mouse over tooltips/infobox to show election results for each state
to add points or
to draw clickable regions on top of the map. For details, please
visit our userguide of adding
points or defining
- Enter election results for each state under Mouse Over Event tab.
c) Enable grouped highlight area feature
d) Add map legend
13. Publish and upload the map.